EMA4fLIGHT & VALEMA
The design and development of projects in the aeronautical sector, in recent decades, is based on the MEA (More Electric Aircraft) concept, through the incorporation of Electronic Control Units and Electromechanical Actuators.
Advances in electrical and electronic technology are making the trend in the manufacture of ships and aircraft leave behind hydraulic and mechanical systems to incorporate new systems, which allow better performance and optimization of resources.
From Skylife Engineering we contribute to these advances through R&D projects, materialized in products, based on power electronics systems, with high performance for aircraft.
Under these projects, Skylife Engineering aims to develop an ECU, Electronic Control Unit, for the control of commercially available EMAs, Electro-Mechanical Actuators
EMA4FLIGHT consists of the design, development, production and validation of EMAs and their associated ECUs that allow reliable and optimized control of Winglets & Flap-Taps aerodynamic surfaces. The production of an operational demonstrator prototype (TRL 6) that meets specifications of low weight, high power and advanced power electronics is pursued.
EMA4FLIGHT establishes the design of fully electric systems that allow the improvement of the efficiency of the aircraft, the reduction of costs, weights and maintenance and the increase of safety in terms of air navigation.
EMA4FLIGHT brings advances to the state of development in which the systems for the control of the actuators of the aerodynamic surfaces mentioned above are currently located.
Skylife Engineering has contributed to these advances in system design by carrying out the following activities.
- Design “from scratch“, using COTS electronic components and following the DO-254 hardware regulations.
- Hardware design in two parts, one dedicated to executing the control command and another dedicated to the monitoring and evaluation system of the correct operation.
- Certification according to DO-160 so that the system can be shipped, meeting reliability and safety objectives for its correct airworthiness.
ECU for DC motor control, brushless secondary actuator surface actuators.
Program: C295 – FTB2
- DO-160 & MIL-STD-461
- DO-254 – DAL B
- Speed and current control
- Ability to provide 13A @ 28V
- Working capacity with Hall & Resolvers sensors
- Wide operating range according to engine speed
Closely linked to EMA4FLIGHT and as a project validation program, we develop tests to verify the correct operation of electromechanical actuators and their control units.
VALEMA has two defined purposes:
- The manufacture of EMA and ECU units, designed and developed in accordance with the JTI-CS2-2016-CFP03-SYS-02-14 call.
- Performing HW and SW quality tests of the Control Units (ECU), in order to obtain permission to fly in the FTB2 demonstrator of La Aernoave Regional.
According to the dissemination policy to encourage accessible and open scientific research, complete information on this Project is available at The Community Research and Development Information Service (CORDIS)